The Clinical Leadership Lens
Dr Nicola Decker, an experienced GP clinical leader, shared her early thoughts on the challenge of ICS leadership which she sees as creating an environment where people feel they can be their best, quoting Simon Sinek.
- A team effort to create the right conditions for every person and organisation to contribute and influence.
- Build trust (it’s about relationships)
- Embed a culture of learning (psychological safety) and accountability throughout Hampshire & IOW.
- HIOW to be the best place to live and work!
She outlined how she saw this could be achieved through building everyone’s sense of belonging and contribution. She explored how Covid had accelerated the system development as it was and is an ‘adaptive’ change to use Ronald Heifetz term.
- It is fundamentally different –our repertoire of usual responses won’t work.
- It requires new approaches and innovation.
- It requires a change in our values, beliefs,and assumptions on how care is delivered.
She summarised her ‘lens’ for building an ICS as;
- Be authentic –role model!
- Spot the networks and work with them (and the influencers)
- Support the “boundary spanners” –who will connect the different networks.
- Listen (it’s about people), Communicate, Learn and Share
- Trust and be trusted (as a clinical leader/ as a person-your authentic self)
Her closing message was ‘It’s about people’. We need to ‘be human’ (not heroes)!